The pictures you will see were taken in the morning of one of the beautiful sunny days of the gorgeous Ukrainian summer during the tour of Western Ukraine in 2016. I love Chernivtsi, Czernowitz, Cernauti, Czerniowce, no matter how you call it very much and it is one of very many nice places we visit during my Western Ukraine tours. However, I often lack a chance to take pictures there during the day since I am quite busy with the tour. This time I have decided to go for a walk before breakfast (BTW, Allure Inn Hotel downtown in Chernivtsi offers really good breakfasts) to enjoy the morning city atmosphere. I took the camera with me and on my way I realized I regret I had not woken up earlier……
I am not a professional photographer and I sometimes find it difficult to combine enjoying the views and absorbing the reality with taking pictures but this time I feel I reached the balance and it made my morning. Some of the pictures were taken during the day and added to the set.
I know there are so many different details I missed. I also know I will be coming come back because in most cases my Western Ukraine tours include Chernivtsi unless it is a custom made tour of Ukraine or a heritage tour of Western Ukraine and visiting the city does not fit the particular route. I can’t wait to continue discovering Chernivtsi!
Why is it so special? I am sure that there will be as many ideas as people who express their opinion. For me it is the combination of the following key features that makes it a great place:
- Being a very beautiful authentic city, it is still not discovered by the majority of tourists who take tours of Ukraine. There are no crowds and the atmosphere is totally relaxing
- Friendliness and a feeling that it is actually a small peripheral but extremely interesting city. People seem to know each other, they smile a lot and shake hands on the streets a lot
- You can literally touch the amazing history: the downtown Austrian architecture has been preserved very well
- They are great stories behind the sights you see: the guide does a terrific job introducing Chernivtsi to us. Of course, it is the matter of the local guides we choose for our Western Ukraine Tour too
- Food and accommodation. Character rich restaurants and a possibility to spend great time sitting outside and watching Kobylianska promenade. Allure Inn hotel, 4 star we mostly choose to stay at for Western Ukraine Tours with its high service and wonderful location
What are the sights you can see? Many objects of the astonishing Jewish Heritage of the city, the Museum of Emigration, the famous UNESCO listed building of the University (hard to believe that such a massive object used to be the residence of the metropolitan of Bukovina Orthodox church), numerous churches, squares and authentic courtyards, the theatre and so on and so force….. There is so much and it is so important to create a Chernivtsi tour which would suit the interests of our visitors best.
Let us see the pictures and have a look at the city from my perspective. I think the pictures should give you the idea what Chernivtsi is like. Follow my comments to some of the pictures. I also invite you to visit Ukraine and see the city as a part of my Western Ukraine Tour.